the source of all your Carnival information!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the source of all your Carnival information!

discussing every and anything Carnival related

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog inBags by MimiBoots by Afro Chic
Latest topics
» WTS: SELL Apple iPhone 4s 32GB Unlocked
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 am by shadow25

» Car Shipping Services
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 am by Marishvcard

» 20110 world cup Carnival in Bangladesh
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm by Marishvcard

» Unlocked Apple iPhone 4 32GB For Sale For $350usd
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptySat May 07, 2011 8:53 am by mohad33

» in need of custom made indian/apache boots. please help asap :D
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 pm by dhalpouriie

» PULSE 8 CARNIVAL 2K11 "OUT OF THE WOODS"
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:44 am by kellyann7

» Post your costume wanted/costume for sale ads...
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 4:55 pm by twiggy

» More than a carnival: Sweet fuh days!
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am by mafiafran

» Carnival Dreams...
MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am by mafiafran

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
Quiche
MOSQUITO BITES?? I_vote_lcapMOSQUITO BITES?? I_voting_barMOSQUITO BITES?? I_vote_rcap 
carnivalkrisdude
MOSQUITO BITES?? I_vote_lcapMOSQUITO BITES?? I_voting_barMOSQUITO BITES?? I_vote_rcap 
mjsbunny
saucy_diva
Afro Chic
Black Cherry
socajunkie
Carnival Diva
Carnivaldivaz
browneyeztrini

MOSQUITO BITES??

Go down 
+11
Quiche
(¯`'•.¸♥¸.•'´
ms. hershey
Island Soul
Black Cherry
PassionFruit
socajunkie
yankee arima gyal
mjsbunny
mysti77
bachanalmas
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
bachanalmas

bachanalmas

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-10-02

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 5:33 am

how can i avoid getting bitten? last year when we reached me and my freind got a real nasty bite me on my arm her on her leg that swell up to something disgustingly big, i also found that wearing repellent dont make no difference in fact i get bitten more! i also found that when i went eyes wide shut and the rain start i was getting bite left right and centre.................

anyone have any remidies?? i was told to take garlic pills before i go for a couple ah weeks does this work???
last thing i want is to be in my costume wit un sightly bites showing
Back to top Go down
mysti77

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-09-22

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 5:56 am

good thread, my boyfriend is a mosquito magnet and repellant doesn't seem to do anything! I never knew about the garlic pills but will look into it.
Back to top Go down
mjsbunny

mjsbunny

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-09-18

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 6:02 am

I've heard that Vitamin B, or is it E, pills work. Take them for a few weeks beforehand and you should be ok. Or so I've heard...
Back to top Go down
http://mjsbunny.blogspot.com/
bachanalmas

bachanalmas

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:15 am

oh ok im on vitimin b already but will try the e too and see if that works thanks
Back to top Go down
yankee arima gyal

yankee arima gyal

Number of posts : 56

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 2:36 pm

I use avon skin so soft and it works like a charm for me. Also depends on where you stay. Some hotels spray so the last few years I did not have any bites at all. But when I stayed in Chaguanas, they ate me alive. Good luck. Once you reach Get some soft candle if you do get bit. My in laws think that stuff cures everything Smile
Back to top Go down
http://masqueradersunited.com
socajunkie

Number of posts : 182
Registration date : 2008-09-17

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Avon skin so soft works wonders Razz
Back to top Go down
bachanalmas

bachanalmas

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 4:26 pm

yankee arima gyal wrote:
I use avon skin so soft and it works like a charm for me. Also depends on where you stay. Some hotels spray so the last few years I did not have any bites at all. But when I stayed in Chaguanas, they ate me alive. Good luck. Once you reach Get some soft candle if you do get bit. My in laws think that stuff cures everything Smile

oh my gosh u singing to the choir here first time i went trini in 2003 i stayed in chaguanas i got eaten alive i was staying wit a frens family they had vents in de wall, no Ac and slat windows i had to leave open or i would die from the heat! now i mostly stay in town or this year st james im willing to try anything not to get bitten albino
Back to top Go down
PassionFruit

PassionFruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-01-04

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 6:38 pm

"After Bite" is really good once you do get bitten. Reduces the swelling and itch if you put it on a few times right after.
Back to top Go down
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-09-26

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 6:58 pm

Have you noticed mosquitoes only bite visitors? I swear on many a visit, mosquitoes would be eating me up yet my friends there would just be sitting still like nothing. I think it's a conspiracy.
Back to top Go down
bachanalmas

bachanalmas

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:13 pm

yep attack the foriegners!! they got tasty blood i swear as soon i land in piarco airport whilst waiting for our lift i will get the nastiest bite ever i have noticed i dont get bitten as much as i used to but when i do they are huge lol like them have some mampie mosquitos now lol
Back to top Go down
Island Soul

Island Soul

Number of posts : 64

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 12:50 pm

Another tip for those staying in homes without AC, even if it's not a particularly hot night use the fan on highest setting, even if that means you have to use light covers. I've noticed that when the current is out and we have no fan or when we turn it off cuz is actually a cool night, i get bitten much more.

Also make sure that the repellent that you use has DEET. I know lots has been made of the health risks of exposure but that's really only a big issue for very young chlildren. The health risks of the mosquito bites themselves is substantial. You don't want to go home with West Nile or Malaria!
Back to top Go down
ms. hershey

ms. hershey

Number of posts : 76

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 5:23 pm

i guess i'm lucky, i rarely get bitten. but i do take vitamin E regularly so maybe that's the trick.
Back to top Go down
(¯`'•.¸♥¸.•'´

Number of posts : 3

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 8:59 pm

I've also heard that petroleum jelly is good to prevent bites. I've never used it, myself, so can't attest to its effectiveness. The over-the-counter sprays work for me quite well.
Back to top Go down
Quiche

Quiche

Number of posts : 514

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 12:01 am

i guess the theory is that the mosquito get stuck to the jelly ? lol
Back to top Go down
(¯`'•.¸♥¸.•'´

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 3:03 am

Nope. Rather the jelly creates a thick enough film over the skin that the mosquito isn't able to penetrate. Either that or the smell is distracting from the smell of your blood--I know I can't handle the smell too much, far less for a small creature like a mosquito.
Back to top Go down
yankee arima gyal

yankee arima gyal

Number of posts : 56

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:16 am

I forgot about the fan trick. When I was there last April I was with family again and had to have the fan on me all night with the covers over my head. The fan blows them away enough to make it thru the night. However they buzz by my ears too which I HATE. Usually if I get bit the first day, by the next I am old news and they move on. Good luck! Just drink rum and go to a fete. You'll be alright! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://masqueradersunited.com
squeezle

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm

I am a magnet for mosquitoes, and my skin reacts very badly to bites, so I've tried any and every remedy out there. Only two things work for me. The first is Off Deep Woods Pump Spray (not the spray in the can) http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=70554&catid=10539

It is tremendously effective in preventing bites, however (as you will notice if you read the product details) it can also be damaging to some artificial surfaces and fabrics, including nail polish, so try to exercise caution when applying if you want to keep you manicure looking fresh.

The second product is one I came across in Trinidad a few years ago. I believe it is called Mos-quito-pel, or some variation of that spelling. Like the Off product, it is also 100 percent DEET (or pretty darn close).

Essentially, the higher the concentration of DEET in a product, the better it works for me. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to consider doing a patch test first.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Bizzie Chic

Bizzie Chic

Number of posts : 46

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyMon Jan 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Like Yankee Arima said....Skin so soft works wonders, it is odorless and also has SPF in it.
Back to top Go down
Afro Chic
Admin
Afro Chic

Number of posts : 263

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 4:11 pm

It must be a foreign ting...cause I doh ever get bite Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.bootsbyafrochic.com
mysti77

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 8:24 pm

LOL I think it's a foreign thing cuz my bf has bites all over and I didn't get any yet
Back to top Go down
carnivalkrisdude

carnivalkrisdude

Number of posts : 434

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 4:51 pm

yup its a fawrin ting... meen get no bites
Back to top Go down
Island Soul

Island Soul

Number of posts : 64

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 9:25 pm

What? no bites? after all those promises from Triber??
Back to top Go down
bachanalmas

bachanalmas

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 pm

when u guys say must be a foriegn ting?? i aint gettin ya??? i was wit a 2 trinidadian born and bred people who got bitten another girl who grew up in st lucia most her life got bitten worse than me i just think they either like your skin or they dont! lol i find there was suttin new biting this year that leaves a lil tiny hard red dot anyone know what this is?? btw i tried a few of the remidies and precautions i didnt get bitten for first 7 or 8 days then i gradually got bitten again, even got a nasty on on me ankle and my leg swell lol
Back to top Go down
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-09-26

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 5:07 pm

bachanalmas wrote:
when u guys say must be a foriegn ting?? i aint gettin ya??? i was wit a 2 trinidadian born and bred people who got bitten another girl who grew up in st lucia most her life got bitten worse than me i just think they either like your skin or they dont! lol i find there was suttin new biting this year that leaves a lil tiny hard red dot anyone know what this is?? btw i tried a few of the remidies and precautions i didnt get bitten for first 7 or 8 days then i gradually got bitten again, even got a nasty on on me ankle and my leg swell lol

Not a single mosquito bit for me. Came back to the US untouched. But then again I never stayed still long enough for them to bite!
Back to top Go down
mysti77

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 9:21 am

I got about 3 bites, but small ones

My boyfriend got so many that his ankles got swolen from the bites
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: MOSQUITO BITES??   MOSQUITO BITES?? Empty

Back to top Go down

MOSQUITO BITES??
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
the source of all your Carnival information! :: Talk Yuh Talk :: Bacchanal Central-
Jump to: