the source of all your Carnival information!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the source of all your Carnival information!

discussing every and anything Carnival related

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog inBags by MimiBoots by Afro Chic
Latest topics
» WTS: SELL Apple iPhone 4s 32GB Unlocked
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 am by shadow25

» Car Shipping Services
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 am by Marishvcard

» 20110 world cup Carnival in Bangladesh
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm by Marishvcard

» Unlocked Apple iPhone 4 32GB For Sale For $350usd
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptySat May 07, 2011 8:53 am by mohad33

» in need of custom made indian/apache boots. please help asap :D
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 pm by dhalpouriie

» PULSE 8 CARNIVAL 2K11 "OUT OF THE WOODS"
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:44 am by kellyann7

» Post your costume wanted/costume for sale ads...
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 4:55 pm by twiggy

» More than a carnival: Sweet fuh days!
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am by mafiafran

» Carnival Dreams...
Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am by mafiafran

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
Quiche
Staying Fit in the Off-Season I_vote_lcapStaying Fit in the Off-Season I_voting_barStaying Fit in the Off-Season I_vote_rcap 
carnivalkrisdude
Staying Fit in the Off-Season I_vote_lcapStaying Fit in the Off-Season I_voting_barStaying Fit in the Off-Season I_vote_rcap 
mjsbunny
saucy_diva
Afro Chic
Black Cherry
socajunkie
Carnival Diva
Carnivaldivaz
browneyeztrini

Staying Fit in the Off-Season

Go down 
+3
mysti77
PassionFruit
Black Cherry
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Staying Fit in the Off-Season Empty
PostSubject: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 3:30 pm

So carnival is over now and you worked had for the last 3-6 months to get in shape. You didn't exactly see the results you wanted but you tried hard. So what's next? Take a few months off before you start the process all over again, right? WRONG!

Just wanted to encourage my fellow bloggers to incorporate physical fitness as part of your everyday routine. Set realistic goals and celebrate your milestone accomplishments. Take the slow steady path and make adjustments along the way. The results will be longer lasting and definitely rewarding. Challenge yourself as you attain your goals.

Some ideas for staying fit in the "off season":
1. Take up dancing - salsa, samba etc. Whatever fancies you
2. Gardening
3. Use every opportunity to maximize your calories burned - using steps vs elevators, parking farther away etc.
4. Hiking and biking (for those overseas spring is coming)
5. Swimming
These are all low impact cardio activities but it all adds up. Try to incorporate moderate to high impact cardio activities 3-4 times a week and if available incorporate weight training.

Since I've been back I participated in a 203 mile run ( on a 12 member team from my job). What an experience. No worries though, carnival actually prepared me well. In May, my company will have a team at the dragon boat festival and I will be participating in that as well. I continue to work out daily as it's part of my routine. Fitness for me is fitness for life! Good luck to all and I am already looking forward to 2010.

BC
Back to top Go down
PassionFruit

PassionFruit

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyFri Mar 13, 2009 8:38 pm

Very inspiring BC! I have been thinking of exactly that - starting to work on tweaking a few things - diet, workouts and mindset - to start the prep work for C2K10, but also to keep myself in a happy place.
Back to top Go down
mysti77

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 5:41 pm

I've signed up for a 5k for cancer research in June and also a Mountain Marathon that's in June. The 5k is just to keep me running and the mountain marathon is a charity thing that a team from work are doing. It's 26.5 miles over 14 hours mountain hiking! Hardcore Wink

Also going to do gardening when it starts to warm up a bit, and longer dog walks as well. I lost about 35 pounds for this Carnival and I now want to lose another 10 more for next year, but at least the bulk of the horrible fat is gone and it's to maintain and slowly lose.

I say we try to keep motivated from now, it's always easier slow and steady than rushed.
Back to top Go down
*-»¦«-´¯`★rene★

*-»¦«-´¯`★rene★

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptySun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 pm

i done start stuffing my face i will diet in August Smile Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yankee arima gyal

yankee arima gyal

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyTue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 pm

I must say I have not done anything since I have been back in the cold up here in MD. Luckily the weather will be getting nice soon. I find it easier to be active when the weather is warm. I do know that I want to work from now on my six pack (yeah right). Because maintaining what you have is way better than starting from scratch in December hoping to look different by February. Good Luck guys!!!
Back to top Go down
http://masqueradersunited.com
Breeze

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 10:06 pm

I too have not done anything yet, I'm in MD too. Just got a jogging stroller yesterday (so I have NO excuses not to exercise) and will pick up running outside since the weather's getting nice!
I'm looking to lose a lot more this year...
I may do a 10k later this spring and another later this year.
Keep motivated, February will be here before we know it!

Last edited by Breeze on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cafe

cafe

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Actually since I've been back I've been traing 3x/wk. I saw my carnival pics and hated the ones on the road. Loved the ones I took at home though.
Hoping to finally make Miami this yr.
Back to top Go down
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 5:16 pm

I continue to work out with my trainer twice per week and incorporate cardio on the other days. My left knee seems recovered from last year's injury so I am definitely incorporating longer runs at least 2-3 times a week. Exercising is my santuary (with physical benefits). Unfortunately my new job is more demanding on time so I've had to make adjustments. I don't have the benefit of the previously frequent 2hr lunch workouts so some days I have to squeeze it in @ 4:30 a.m. No scene.....one way or the other, I'll get it in!
Back to top Go down
mysti77

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 11:57 am

Black Cherry - 4:30am!?!? Nah, I not that dedicated, LOL

I decided to try Spin yesterday. I think it won't be as bad if it were not for the seat being so uncomfortable. AND I HAD a gel seat on there. How do people do it!!?? Today in between my legs are bruised.
Back to top Go down
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyWed Apr 01, 2009 3:02 pm

mysti77 wrote:
Black Cherry - 4:30am!?!? Nah, I not that dedicated, LOL

I decided to try Spin yesterday. I think it won't be as bad if it were not for the seat being so uncomfortable. AND I HAD a gel seat on there. How do people do it!!?? Today in between my legs are bruised.

Mysti77, it's not uncommon to experience soreness the first couple of times you spin and you would find that after a 2-3 weeks you may not even need the gel seat. I suspect a few things caused the bruising: 1. When you stand next to the bike the seat should come about as high as your hip bone. Make sure the seat isn't too low (or too high) as this may cause incorrect posture on the bike and 'rubbing' in the wrong places. Along those same lines, check the position of the seat itself. Make sure it's not too far back where you have to use outstretched arms to reach the handle bars. You should be able to comfortably sit with your hands in position 3 with a slight bend at the elbows 2. Resistance should be challenging enough to give you controlled pedal strokes. Too little resistance will cause the fly wheel to take control and have you boucing all over the seat again possibly causing abrasion. 3. Your feet should be flat on the pedal. Don't push forward with your toes. Press down with your feet parallel to the floor and use even controlled strokes, using your hamstrings to pull up. Finally, sit back on the seat. As you increase resistance you will benefit more by sliding your behind further back on the seat. This gives you more power to push the strokes.

It takes some getting used to but I found it to be a great cardio workout! Key here is positioning and posture. Unfortunately, I've sat through many classes where I see folks using inproper form and the instructor never corrects them. Let me know how it goes.....you've got to try for at least a few times though.
Back to top Go down
mysti77

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season EmptyThu Apr 02, 2009 6:22 am

I do intend on giving it another go, I really believe that even tho it's hard, if I stick to it it will be ok in the end. Wondering if to do it again today or to do a Body Pump class. I'm still sore between the legs so I'm not sure!!

I think I may have been too far back but the height was ok. I tried it once before and was bouncing all over the place, I never made it past 20 minutes of the class because I was in too much pain. This time the guy adjusted the height for me and it was much better, I was uncomfortable but felt the pain afterwards.

I will make an effort not to push with my toes, I think I did that whenever I was tired!

Thanks for the advice Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Staying Fit in the Off-Season   Staying Fit in the Off-Season Empty

Back to top Go down

Staying Fit in the Off-Season
Page 1 of 1