the source of all your Carnival information!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the source of all your Carnival information!

discussing every and anything Carnival related

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog inBags by MimiBoots by Afro Chic
Latest topics
» WTS: SELL Apple iPhone 4s 32GB Unlocked
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 am by shadow25

» Car Shipping Services
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 12:24 am by Marishvcard

» 20110 world cup Carnival in Bangladesh
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:13 pm by Marishvcard

» Unlocked Apple iPhone 4 32GB For Sale For $350usd
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptySat May 07, 2011 8:53 am by mohad33

» in need of custom made indian/apache boots. please help asap :D
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 10:57 pm by dhalpouriie

» PULSE 8 CARNIVAL 2K11 "OUT OF THE WOODS"
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:44 am by kellyann7

» Post your costume wanted/costume for sale ads...
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 22, 2010 4:55 pm by twiggy

» More than a carnival: Sweet fuh days!
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am by mafiafran

» Carnival Dreams...
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 am by mafiafran

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
Quiche
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 I_vote_lcapLet's talk about budget... - Page 2 I_voting_barLet's talk about budget... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
carnivalkrisdude
Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 I_vote_lcapLet's talk about budget... - Page 2 I_voting_barLet's talk about budget... - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
mjsbunny
saucy_diva
Afro Chic
Black Cherry
socajunkie
Carnival Diva
Carnivaldivaz
browneyeztrini

Let's talk about budget...

Go down 
+14
Darkie-Ann
carnivalkrisdude
browneyeztrini
Tanu
HQ
jady
*-»¦«-´¯`★rene★
Bizzie Chic
Quiche
ny2cali
lulu
saucy_diva
mjsbunny
Afro Chic
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-09-26

Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 3:21 pm

You don't want to see how I spelt it before (sue-sue) lol. Been gone a long time but I know you faithful folks will keep me in line.

For those securing accommodations - just a little warning. I felt I was misled (maybe too harsh) into paying more than the posted rate at one of the hotels (to remain nameless). Got my quote in USD and paid using my US Visa card ($1400 USD). How bout them charging an exchange rate way below the "current" rate. By the time you convert the difference I ended up spending and extra $400 TT or $66 USD more. When I queried I was told they use a flat rate of $5 something'ish. Basically, I was charged the TT equivalent that was then converted to USD by a much lower rate. If I had known that I would have paid them in TT$$. Just a point to note...and to make matters worse I had several 1st time visitors with me who had to contend with the same issue. Of course by the time you realize the diff. you are back in the States. $400TT - Breakfast party $$.
Back to top Go down
saucy_diva

saucy_diva

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 3:53 pm

5.00 TT exchange rate?? and you don't want to put them on blast ? That is a fete ticket right there the bloody thieves.
Back to top Go down
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 5:05 pm

Just to clarify it wasn't $5. It was definitely more than that. I went back and looked at my records. I had a signed agreement with Chancellor Hotel for 5 nights for $1400 USd. They sent me the agmt which I signed and returned to them. When I got my credit card statement and the charges were in TT$$ which of course had to be converted to US. To make a long story short I was charged $1460 instead of the $1400. So it was a $60 diff on my card and around the same for my co-workers. So it was roughly $360TT each not $400 as I previously stated.

What Chancellor should have done was notifiy us that charges will be in TT$$ and not the confirmed rate they quoted us in USD (so we're not surprised when the bill comes). I still have all the correspondence, including written documentation from the Hotel and there was no indication that 1. They are unable to process charges in USD and 2. Customer may incure additional charges in excess of posted rates as a result of the conversion.

Of course when I contacted them I was unsucessful and decided it wasn't worth the fight.

I use my card occassionally when I come home and the charges are usually at the current exchange rate. I buy stuff at the airport and I know what I pay. In this case Chancellor used their own currency rate to convert the $1400 US which wasn't the current bank rate and left me stuck with the excess. Doh worry, ah bunking with friends for 2k9. All I need is a place to shower and get a couple hours of sleep.
BC
Back to top Go down
**D**

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 09, 2008 9:12 pm

(scratches head)... budget? Shocked hmm... sounds like a good idea, maybe I should get one. LOL
Back to top Go down
Quiche

Quiche

Number of posts : 514

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 8:51 am

whta;d the point of a budget .. yuh gine buy what yuh want anyways Laughing

think of it more as a running total Embarassed
Back to top Go down
browneyeztrini

browneyeztrini

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 10:28 am

I agree with Quiche Laughing
Back to top Go down
saucy_diva

saucy_diva

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Quiche wrote:
whta;d the point of a budget .. yuh gine buy what yuh want anyways Laughing

think of it more as a running total Embarassed

Actually I have a month by month yearly budget and the point of it is to have a guide of how I am spending and saving my money. I don't think I would save a cent if I had a running total!!
Back to top Go down
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 3:17 pm

I don't formally budget for carnival either and honestly I prefer to be oblivious to the actual cost. My only rules are 1.No loans and 2.All bills paid before I leave for carnival. Although, the last time I was in Trinidad I heard the banks offer carnival loans. Talk about diggin' ah hole for yuhself! Have ah time ppl.
Back to top Go down
mjsbunny

mjsbunny

Number of posts : 355
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 3:43 pm

BC, I agree with you totally and your rules are pretty sensible.

I'm lucky in that my husband and I don't really have many expenses, so I can indulge myself. But my natural frugality prevents me from going mad, like I simply cannot buy them boots for $400! I lookin' for some cheap boots over here and bring them home.

A good rule is, if you need a loan to pay for it, you doh need it that badly (of course this doesn't apply to houses and cars in some cases...). Carnival loans? Talk about irresponsible lending!
Back to top Go down
http://mjsbunny.blogspot.com/
Quiche

Quiche

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:24 pm

it's the bank's interest ................... to get interest!!
Back to top Go down
mjsbunny

mjsbunny

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Yeah, but with banks failing left right and centre due to dodgy loans, is it really wise to lend money to people who can't afford six grand for Carnival? Um, no. Not so much! No
Back to top Go down
Black Cherry

Black Cherry

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:31 pm

Yeah.....But how else they go pay for de $2000 markup on they costume?
Back to top Go down
mjsbunny

mjsbunny

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Touche, my good lady!
Back to top Go down
browneyeztrini

browneyeztrini

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2008-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 10, 2008 8:52 pm

I've taken Saucy's advice and planned a monthly budget so that by February, certain costs don't feel overwhelming to pay from January's paycheques. Also, I try to buy certain things little by little and months in advance so that I have it ready, like buying my makeup in the summer months; buying boots in March/April when they go on sale to make way for summer shoes, etc.
Back to top Go down
Afro Chic
Admin
Afro Chic

Number of posts : 263

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 12, 2008 8:21 pm

I too am purchasing my stuff little by little every month.

Boots one month, accessories a next.

I know I will still end up buying some last minute crap that I will most likely not use at all tough...ah well...
Back to top Go down
http://www.bootsbyafrochic.com
fruity

fruity

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 3:44 pm

DO LIKE ME AND JUST SPEND JUST SPEND AND AT D END OF IT ALL JUST CRY MAMA LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.passionbraids.blog.com
carnivalkrisdude

carnivalkrisdude

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2008 10:23 pm

my costume gone up.... its now 9200
Back to top Go down
mjsbunny

mjsbunny

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 1:43 am

Oh dear! I think that's what I'm spending in total on my costume and all accessories, Kris!

My parents own a house in St James so I staying there, and I think I have some money in my TT account...now I have to find the card! If not, I might have to re-open the Bank of Daddy. Wink

But the real budget buster is flights. Lord, them flights!!! Sad
Back to top Go down
carnivalkrisdude

carnivalkrisdude

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 12:31 am

carnivalkrisdude wrote:

ok ppl i have a problem.. i keep wanting more and more.. when will it STOP!!!!
Back to top Go down
mjsbunny

mjsbunny

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 3:32 am

Quiche, talk to yuh boy nuh!

Kris, it will stop when the money run out. Laughing
Back to top Go down
saucy_diva

saucy_diva

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 20, 2008 7:22 am

carnivalkrisdude wrote:

Are you going to be king of the band ? Depending on how elaborate the costume is that is not a bad price.
Back to top Go down
carnivalkrisdude

carnivalkrisdude

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 12:01 pm

saucy_diva wrote:
carnivalkrisdude wrote:

Are you going to be king of the band ? Depending on how elaborate the costume is that is not a bad price.

yeah thats it...saucy.. it gone into production already i think.. Neutral ..i cah afford nothing more nah... you know what the judging thing is like?
Back to top Go down
Quiche

Quiche

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 12:04 pm

carnivalkrisdude wrote:
saucy_diva wrote:
carnivalkrisdude wrote:

yeah thats it...saucy.. it gone into production already i think.. Neutral ..i cah afford nothing more nah... you know what the judging thing is like?

splits is naff points Wink
Back to top Go down
carnivalkrisdude

carnivalkrisdude

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 22, 2008 10:35 pm

Quiche wrote:
carnivalkrisdude wrote:
saucy_diva wrote:
carnivalkrisdude wrote:

splits is naff points Wink

errrrmm no eh..i go haffi wear tights fuh dat
Back to top Go down
Quiche

Quiche

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 23, 2008 1:14 am

so what's the problem ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about budget...   Let's talk about budget... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about budget...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next